Friday, September 03, 2004

the first of funny stories

Hey Gerry! So you've inspired me to write myself a little BLOG of my own. Oh no... here we go: starting to post up nonsense coz that's what I'm best at writing... ay? (anyone who knows me well enough should know that!)

Ok.. so here's the first of my little stories that I plan to put up here.
Today I had a funny little experience with my parents and a stranger. We were parked outside Centrelink in Blacktown this afternoon, and a derelict came wandering by asking if he could use my mobile. *First impression?* "Is he gonna run off with my Nokia??" I realised it's kinda sad that the majority of us don't trust people much ay?

I had to check my attitude and the little voice inside me said - hey, give this guy a chance.
And so my Dad's in the front seat of our Nissan telling my (in Tagalog, mind you) not to talk to this bloke coz he's probably gonna rip me off, steal something or bash me... but I kept right on asking him why he needs to borrow my phone. And after telling me his story I realised that if he was telling the truth, I should be helping him out.

I mean... at the moment I'm in the midst of writing up the 2nd edition of "inSPYr'd" and the theme for September is FAITH IN ACTION. Who am I to publish a youth newsletter about putting our faith in action, if I can't lend a helping hand to someone in need?!

So I remembered this passage.... when Jesus said 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me;' and *BOOM!* there I knew it. I can't let me fears of people abusing my love stop me from loving!
Coz we do it to Jesus all the time... but He loves us anyway.
So I guess the point of my first of the funny stories... is that we need to learn to trust that when we do something out of love, God is with us.

Next time someone on the street asks my for help, I know not to brush them away. Because they've got Jesus in their heart too - and, like all of God's people - they need to be loved.

*Cheers all and have a lovely week!

"...35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me...'"
[Matthew 25: 25-40]


No comments: